Thursday, May 29, 2008

Cassis at Rochester Park

Venue : Cassis (Modern French)
7 Rochester Park
Nearest MRT : Buono Vista

23rd May - Cynthia was organised enough to go and book Cassis for dinner on a Friday night. She has heard of this new restaurant in an area called Rochester Park, which has many other restaurants with good review so we decide to head out to the stix and check it out.
Upon arrival, I was greeted with lots of "good evening madame" from all the waiting staff that were standing outside. First impression was - hmm, this is quite nice. The interior of the restaurant was also very nice. It reminded me of Dutch Interiors, and it was all quite pleasant and very classy.


The interior - We were the only persons sitting in there - on a Friday evening


We sat at our table was offered bread and herb butter. Bread was OK, and then we requested for Balsamic and Olive Oil. The waiting staff had no idea what Balsamic is and said she will bring us some olive oil. 10mins later, we asked her for the Balsamic and olive oil again and she went "Do you want your olive oil now? I thought you want it with your food". We nicely told her we want the olive oil with our bread and if she could get us some balsamic too. Then she went "you want rice vinegar? cherry vinegar?". We nicely told her, we want something called Balsamic Vinegar and she should go to the kitchen and say that "Balsamic". 5 mins later, she brought balsamic and olive oil. hoorah~!
My dinner companions opted for the 5 course degustation menu (without wine) for $135 and I opted just to have the main of lamb cutlets for $65.

Since we were the only guests sitting in the inside area of the Restaurant, we were sort of "forgotten". Everytime we wanted more bread, we had to tap the window to get the attention of the waiting staff. We ordered 1 glass of wine each. I opted for a Chilean Pinot Noir and it came out Chilled. I understand that because its hot in Asian countries, optimum temperature for the wine might be a little cooler than room temperature - but my glass was frosted. It was as cold as the glass of white wine that Cynthia had.

When my meal arrived, I have nicely asked for cracked pepper. The waiting staff promptly went and got a pepper mill and headed towards our table. Then... he just plonked the pepper mill on the table and walked away. *Shock*
This is a "Fine Dining" restaurant and the prices reflected it. However, the service sure didn't. Well, if the food was excellent, it would have made up for it....

1st & 2nd course : Smoked Salmon & Raw Scallops garnished with balsamic sauce



3rd & 4th course : Duck Terrine & Seafood risotto. 5th course was a slow cook Lamb Dish.



Dessert is soft centred chocolate cake & of course there is a selection of petite fours


My meal - lamb cutlets - medium rare.
At least they didn't over cook my meat.



We didn't leave the place feeling hungry- however we didn't leave the place feeling satisfied too. I think this venue has lots of potential, unfortunately because of the poor service and average food, I will say I won't be in a hurry to head back there to check it out again. Shame really.
Maybe we are just too spoilt having dined in many countries and restaurants. However, having said that, I have eaten in very cheap cafe in Europe and the service is much much better. If you are selling french food and a fine dining atmosphere - at least learn a little from the French on Service & Food Preparation.IMHO.

No comments: