Sunday, May 19, 2013

Day 26 Rabal del Camino to Ponferadda

It was -2c this morning and the plan was supposed to walk to Molineseca which was 26km away. 

Had breakfast at the alberque and slowly walked out at 8:30am as I was waiting for the fog to lift and for it to warm up a little. Well, none of that happened! It was 6km to the next town of Foncebaddon, uphill. Uphill wasn't that steep so it didn't bother me that much but fog was getting thicker and thicker and it was freezing. Still I pushed ahead as we were walking in the hills/forest. The track got muddier and people were all slowing down and since we can't see far ahead due to the fog we used other pilgrims ahead as way markers. 

2km into Foncebaddon and hell broke lose. Ice slits came side ways, it was nearly impossible to see ahead, windy and I found it extremely difficult to walk. I was getting wind burn on my face and even double gloves my hands were freezing. It was at this time I was thinking that I cannot walk another 15km in snow conditions and I need to either stay in Foncebaddon or get a ride out

Slowly made my way into the first bar in Foncebaddon and after putting my pack down I saw Richard. Upon seeing me he held my arm and told me he has booked a taxi to take him down the mountain and asked whether I would like to join him. I did not hesitate and said I would share the taxi with him. I then turned around and saw a lady I saw a few times on the track and I asked her whether she would like to join us in the taxi. She said yes immediately and off we went

We had intended to stop at Molineseca but Richard's ATM card would not work in the only ATM machine in town so he couldn't pay for his taxi ride share. The nice taxi driver then offered to drive us to the next big town which was Ponferadda. 
In this town Richard managed to withdrew some cash and paid the taxi driver. We then stopped in a cafe for tea to warm ourselves up and figure out the next stage. 

Melissa was the lady who shared the taxi with us and she is from Sydney. She and me then decide we will take a room in a hotel or hostal instead of the alberque because the Albergue had 200 beds. We walked into the main square of town and decide to walk to the tourist office first to get a map. Upon exiting the tourist office, I sent Richard off to the direction of the alberque and Mel noticed a hostal nearby which looked quite nice so we went and asked whether they have rooms available         They did and it was only €35 a night with own bathroom so we took it after seeing the room and feeling how warm it is inside. Virgen de la encina is what this place is called and it was nice!

Me and Mel went out to the plaza to have lunch and we picked an Italian restaurant and halfway eating, Gina and her friend Agnes came in and it was such a surprise to see them. So they joined us and 10 minutes later we looked out of the window and saw Line and her friend walked passed so we invited them to join us too. The camino is amazing in this way. You just seemed to meet up with people you least likely suspect of meeting

2 bottles of wine and 3 hours later we left the Resto and I had a hot hot bath as soon as I checked into my room. Met up again with Line and her new friend Rebecca a lady from Sydney and I helped treat Rebecca's blisters. She had 10 of them 

Dinner was another Italian and I had pasta again and of course more wine to keep warm. Mel is really good company and we have decide we will leave town together in he morning to walk the 24km to Villafranca del Bierzo







No comments: