Friday, May 24, 2013

Day 31 San Mamed to Portomarrin

Still cold in the mornings! Left the albergue quite late as we had breakfast there and I walked out on my own. We were 2.5km from Sarria and I thought by the time I walked into Sarria most of the newbies that has started in Sarria will be gone. About 75% of pilgrims who walk to  Santiago starts from Sarria because its the 100km mark and you need to walk the last 100km to obtain a pilgrim certificate. 

Sarria is an uninteresting town so I was glad i just bypassed it. The walk out of Sarria was an immediate climb to a hill and then walking through lots of pine forest. 

Due to so many people on the path I walked quite quickly to pass everyone and didnt really speak to anyone till after 10km. Met a group of Norwegian walkers which is in a group of 24 and speak to one of them for quite a bit and she was also walking quite fast. Met a young couple, he from Colombia and she French and spoke to them for quite a bit. He is travelling in Europe and they met in Belgium. They are now waking the camino together and after she will move to Colombia. They have so much hopes and dreams and stars in their eyes as they said as long as they have each other all will be good. It's a lovely modern love story. 

Kept meeting also the 3 Spanish men that I met going to Samos also and they keep waving at me everytime I pass them   

Just 3km short of Portomarrin I stopped to find a toilet and saw Des from South Africa and Nick who walked with her for some time in an Albergue. The alberque owner is Gordon also from SA and most of the pilgrims who stayed were from SA. I sat and chatted with them and saw Sam walked by so I waved him down to come join us. Not long after that Lee a Brisbane guy and Kelly from USA walked by and joined us too. I couldn't stay in that Albergue as I promised to meet Gina in Portomarrin so me and Sam walked the 3km into town. 

Portomarrin is next to a lake and it looks quite pretty from the outskirts of town. We stayed at Albergue O Mireador and it was a simple 4 beds to a cubicle no doors type of dorm. We found out that Tara was just at the next Albergue so we all went to dinner together to meet up with Gina. 

Had the usual pilgrim menu 3 course with  Mary-lee from California and Jerry from Colorado. After dinner we head back to our respective Albergue and I had a early night. 

Tomorrow is a 28km day to San Xulian. 

No comments: